by Paul Knepper
Over the past twenty-five years there have been numerous incidents in sports that completely floored us, from an untimely death, to a gruesome injury, to a stunning upset, to the simply bizarre. Many of these moments have become universal experiences, memories shared by sports fans every where. As you head towards the top of the list, I guarantee many of you will remember exactly where you were when some of those shocking events occurred.
Here’s my list of the 50 most shocking moments in sports over the past 25 years. As always, let me know if you think there’s something I left out.
50) Dale Hunter viciously crosschecked Islanders’ center Pierre Turgeon in the back, separating his shoulder, while Turgeon was celebrating a goal in the decisive game of a 1993 playoff series with the Capitals.
49) The Metrodome roof collapsed during a snowstorm this past winter.
48) Nets star Drazen Petrovic was killed in a car accident during the prime of his career.
47) Fans at the Alamodome got drenched when the sprinkler system malfunctioned during the opening game of the Spurs season in 1994.
46) Thirteen-year-old Brittanie Cecil died after getting struck in the forehead by an errant slap shot off the stick of Columbus Blue Jacket center Espen Knutsen.
45) When the Cowboys blocked the Dolphins potential game-winning field goal attempt on Thanksgiving Day 1993, all the Cowboys needed to do was stay away from the ball and they would win the game. But Leon Lett came flying in and dove on the ball, giving the Phins another attempt, which they capitalized on. Of course, this wasn’t Lett’s first major blunder.
44) Marty McSorley struck Canucks forward Donald Brashear on the head with his stick in a game between the Bruins and Vancouver.
43) Jose Offerman hit the pitcher and catcher with a bat in an independent league game after being plunked by a pitch.
42) Roseanne Barr spit and grabbed her crotch after being booed for her pathetic version of the Star Spangled Banner at Jack Murphy Stadium.
41) Unprovoked, NBA “Bad Boy” Dennis Rodman kicked a cameraman in the nuts after tumbling out of bounds during a Bulls game.
40) Todd Bertuzzi brutally sucker punched Steve Moore, then slammed his head into the ice in a game between Vancouver and Colorado in 2004.
39) In 1989 the all-time hit king, Pete Rose, was banished from baseball for life.
38) Maple Leaf enforcer Tie Domi squirted water at a Flyers fan and then pummeled him when he jumped into the penalty box.
37) Oliver McCall started crying and refused to enter the ring for the fifth round of his Heavyweight title bout with Lennox Lewis.
36) Izzy Alcantara kicked the catcher in the facemask before charging the mound after being brushed back by a pitch in a minor league game.
35) Brandi Chastain took off her jersey after striking the winning goal against China in the final game of the 1999 Women’s World Cup.
34) In a 1993 game vs. the Nets, Shaquille O’Neal dunked the ball so hard that he brought down the entire backboard.
33) Pedro Martinez threw Don Zimmer to the ground by his bald head after Zim charged him during a brawl in the 2003 ALCS.
32) Less than a year after surgery to remove cancer from his pitching arm, Dave Dravecky’s arm snapped as he threw a pitch.
31) The Andrew Golota – Riddick Bowe fight turned into a brawl when Bowe’s people attacked Golota after he was disqualified for repeated low blows.
30) Millions of tiny bugs called midges swarmed Jacobs Field during Game 2 of the 2007 ALDS between the Yankees and Indians.
28) Roger Clemens threw a piece of Mike Piazza’s shattered bat at the Mets catcher during the 2000 Subway Series.
27) Double-A manager Phillip Wellman’s legendary tirade included crawling on the field, hurling bases into the outfield and throwing the rosin bag at the umpire as if it were a grenade.
26) Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy ended up swinging from Alonzo Mourning’s leg when he tried to break up a fight between the Heat and Knicks during the 1998 playoffss.
25) Twenty-six-year-old Robin Ventura was beat down by Nolan Ryan, 20 years his elder, when he charged the mound after being beaned.
24) Rosie Ruiz appeared to have won the 84th Boston Marathon, but was later exposed as a fraud who jumped out of the crowd near the end of the race.
23) After disposing of Lou Savarese in the first round, Mike Tyson turned his attention to the heavyweight champion: “Lennox Lewis, I’m coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I’m just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!”
22) Replays confirmed that Diego Maradona used his hand to score a goal to secure Argentina’s victory over England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-finals, but the referees didn’t see it. After the game Maradona coyly stated that the goal was scored by “the hand of God.”
21) Michael Jordan retired from the NBA for the first time at the age of 30 after back-to-back-to-back championships.
20) Minor league right fielder Rodney McCray ran through the outfield wall in pursuit of a fly ball.
19) A dove exploded on impact when it flew in the path of a Randy Johnson fastball in a spring training game.
18) Days after being drafted #2 overall by the Boston Celtics, Len Bias died of a cocaine overdose.
17) Warriors guard Latrell Sprewell savagely choked his coach P.J. Carlesimo at practice.
16) French midfielder Zinedine Zidane was given a red card after headbutting Italy’s Marco Materazzi in the finals of the 2006 World Cup.
15) Loyola Marymount star Hank Gathers collapsed and died on the court during a game.
14) Colombian defender Andrés Escobar was shot and killed in Medellin, presumably for inadvertently scoring on his own goal in the 1994 World Cup.
13) Mookie Wilson’s slow roller to first went through the legs of Bill Buckner to win Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.
12) “Fan Man” paraglided into the ring during a title fight between Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe.
11) Royals’ first base coach Tom Gamboa was randomly jumped by two fans at Comiskey Park.
10) Blood poured from Sabres goalie Clint Malarchuk’s throat after it was accidentally slit by an opposing players skate.
9) In perhaps the greatest upset in sports history, Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson on February 11, 1990.
8) Michael Sergio parachuted onto the infield at Shea Stadium during Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.
7) An earthquake rocked Candlestick Park minutes before Game 3 of the 1989 World Series between the Giants and Athletics.
6) On November 7, 1991 Magic Johnson announced that he was HIV positive and was retiring from basketball immediately.
5) A crazed Steffi Graf fan stabbed Monica Seles in the back during a break in the action of her match at the 1993 Citizen Cup in Hamburg.
4) Tonya Harding’s ex-husband enlisted thug Jeff Gillooly to attack Harding’s rival Nancy Kerrigan.
3) Ron Artest started a melee when he attacked a fan in the stands at the Palace in Auburn Hills in what came to be known as the “Malice at the Palace.”
2) Mike Tyson took a bite out of Evander Holyfield’s ear. Then chomped down on the other one moments later.
1) Game 5 of the 1994 NBA Finals was interrupted to show football Hall-of-Famer O.J. Simpson fleeing from the police in a white Ford Bronco.
– Chris Webber called timeout in the closing seconds of the 1993 NCAA Tournament Championship game.
– Roberto Alomar spit in the face of umpire John Hirschbeck.
– Carl Lewis’ ceremonial first pitch in Seattle actually rivaled his unforgettable rendition of the national anthem.
– Browns tackle Orlando Brown knocked down the ref after being hit in the eye with a penalty flag.
– Donnie Moore committed suicide a few years after giving up the game-winning home run in Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS.
– Barry Sanders walked away from football in his prime.
– Serena Williams threatened a lineswoman after being called for a foot fault during her semifinal match at the U.S. Open.
– Wayne Gretzky was traded from Edmonton to the Los Angeles.
– John Chaney threatens John Calipari
– Gilbert Arenas and teammate Javaris Crittenton pulled guns on each other.
– The tragic deaths of Reggie Lewis, Nick Adenhart, Darryl Kile and Korey Stringer
– Notre Dame student Declan Sullivan died after falling from a lift while filming football practice.
28 thoughts on “50 Most Shocking Moments in Sports”
Hi there,I check your blog named “50 Most Shocking Moments in Sports | THROUGH THE CLYDESCOPE” regularly.Your humoristic style is witty, keep doing what you’re doing! And you can look our website about love spell.
Likewise, get valuable information like day length, sun rise & sun set, golden hour, twilight and many more about any particular place or area, on the smartphone.
After accepting a blessing from you, the artisan will
alter any damaged parts, adjustment and assuredly acknowledgment your i –
Phone aback to you personally in no time. s
of latest features that may is great entertainment to the mobile phone users and yes it
gives a new definition to smartphones altogether.
Like this man, we invest inside ourselves the belief that our life is supposed to be a particular way.
The P2P software begins downloading the requested torrent in streams from multiple sources.
From their email list, uncover the registry entry that is certainly linked
towards the Trojan virus files.
This is probably the Android apps for everyone who wants to
assist music within their device. You can readily spend a little bit more money and outsource your recovery must a data
center, however, you should make certain that this expense
is lower than the money that you’d lose during
recovery operations on-site. Torrents certainly are a much quicker
and more convenient approach to downloading online, and Seedbox will be the perfect means to fix get torrents downloaded
or uploaded for sharing of one’s own.
Willow trees can be found around bodies of water such
as swamps and streams. Discover more about wooden garden sheds, plastic sheds
and metal sheds just before making a decision to get one.
) You will see Benzoyl Peroxide as common ingredient in many acne medication. The more consumers that
buy green the less hazardous by-products are dumped and released into the air.
If you think your diet is a strange way of treating acne then you should know that Vitamin B5 deficiency has
been linked to acne problems.
Now that’s all fine and dandy when it target cyber criminals,
hackers, and true thieves. This means if you’re given a hyperlink to
download a show, the individual giving you the hyperlink technically just broke the law.
Christmas is the only birthday I know of these the One Whose Birth we’re celebrating increases the gifts instead of
Thanks for your post. I’ve downloaded the program but i got infested with virus.
Than i searched a second time and I found a more good hack on http://com-freehacks.com
Have a sneak and you will see they shared a free download link too.
Just let you two know maybe you can post that hack.
Greetings from California! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
I really like the info you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, good blog!
Ce sont les principales devises dans le jeu et peut
également être acheté pour de l’argent réel à partir de votre
compte Mais avec notre application amener ce que vous voulez pour GRATUIT!
ʜi there mateѕ, how iis everything, and what you
want to ssay concerning this article, in my view its
actually amazing designed for me.
The B5 Regimen is a treatment plan that utilizes Vitamin B5 to cure acne.
You finally screw up your courage – even if the news is bad, it’s best to know the truth,
you tell yourself – and then do the test. If you go to the market for buying any weight
loss product I am sure you will definitely get confused.
By reducing the size of the internal fat deposits the skin can and will appear
flatter and smoother. You finally screw up your courage – even if the news is bad, it’s best to know the truth, you tell yourself – and then do the test.
Having a demanding work schedule, you need to look for ways in losing weight without having to sacrifice your job.
who are your favorite upcoming musicians you’ve see this year?
All natural, completely safe, along with appetite suppressing are just
a couple of perks you might find after you work with the HCG for fat loss.
Not only are they best for reducing weight and to better your physical condition, but also to
make you slender and generally more desirable. He is not just
some dude who wanted to get affluent with the naive overweight population, or gain profits of people with more money than they knew what to do with.
It’s available in either a red or navy striped
pattern that is designed to help you flaunt your figure.
Locating the perfect wedding dress is quite a activity,
and going out with no idea will make it even harder.
If you are under doctor’s orders to limit physical activity it is unwise
to try to play basketball unles advised otherwise.
My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to checking out your web page
Good day, Nice publish. You will find a trouble together with your web site throughout web browser, may possibly click here? Firefox even now may be the marketplace leader as well as a significant amount with other folks will probably leave out the excellent creating for this reason trouble.. wero
I don’t even understand how I finished up right here, but I
believed this submit was good. I do not recognise who you are however definitely you’re going to a famous blogger
if you happen to aren’t already. Cheers!
Were a bunch of volunteers in addition to starting up a new program in our neighborhood. Your web site available us together with information to be able to pictures about. You might have performed an extraordinary job and your entire local community will likely be gracious to you personally.
Hi there! This post could not be written any better!
Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room
mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward
this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.
Thanks for sharing!
What’s up to all, the contents present at this website are truly remarkable for people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.
Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is presented on net?
Nice list but I think “50 Most Shocking Moments in (mostly) American Sports” would have been a better title. How about:
1. Ben Johnson being stripped of gold in 1988
2. Sri Lankan cricket team shot at in Pakistan by terrorists
3. Aryton Senna dying during San Marino Grand Prix
4. South Africa winning the 1995 Rugby World Cup; the first time they were allowed to compete after the end of Apartheid
5. Then, of course, there was the moment Eric Cantona Kung-fu kicked an opposing fan:
Wow, how long did it take for you to come up with these? I think the Artest Melee has to take it for me. As someone who’s been to many sporting events, I never really felt concerned about all about the action entering the stands. I think that mess changed the way fans think about coming to games forever. Also in terms of pure shock value, I was watching that game live and it was certainly one of those “call all your best friends to make sure they’re watching” moments…..
Good Job Paul…Hal